Tom Tom is a popular brand of sweet, throat lozenge, or candy known for its soothing and mentholated flavor. It is often used to relieve minor throat discomfort or to freshen breath.
Tom Tom sweets are available in many flavors, but the most popular flavors are menthol and honey. These candies typically come individually wrapped in small, round shapes, making them convenient for carrying and consumption.
Tom Tom sweets can be enjoyed by people of any age and are commonly found in many countries, particularly in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa. They are produced by the Cadbury Nigeria PLC company. In this article, we will discuss the health benefits and possible side effects of Tom Tom Sweet.
What are the Ingredients of the TomTom Sweet?
The specific ingredients of TomTom sweets may vary depending on the type, but the classic menthol and honey type typically contains the following ingredients:
- Sugar: TomTom sweets are primarily made from sugar, which provides the sweet taste.
- Glucose Syrup: Glucose syrup is used as a sweetener and to give the candy its chewy texture.
- Honey: Honey is added for flavor and its soothing properties.
- Menthol: Menthol is the ingredient responsible for the minty and cooling sensation in the candy. It can also help soothe a sore throat.
- Flavorings: Various flavorings may be added to enhance the taste, such as eucalyptus or mint.
- Colorings: Some versions of TomTom sweets may contain food colorings to achieve a specific appearance.
Health Benefits of Tom Tom Sweet
Can soothe a sore throat
Menthol, a key ingredient in TomTom sweets, has a cooling effect that can help soothe a sore throat. It may temporarily relieve throat irritation and discomfort.
Can ease coughing and congestion
Menthol is known for its cough-suppressing properties. It can help reduce the urge to cough and may provide relief from cough symptoms.
May help with respiratory relief
The menthol in TomTom sweets can help open up airways, making it easier to breathe for individuals with congestion or mild respiratory issues.
May help with Mild Pain Relief
Some people find menthol’s cooling effect to be mildly analgesic. It may provide temporary relief from minor headaches or muscle aches.
Supports Stress Reduction
The pleasant taste and aroma of TomTom sweets, combined with the soothing properties of honey, can help reduce stress and provide a sense of comfort.
May provide Throat Hydration
Honey, another key ingredient, is known for its natural ability to retain moisture. It can help keep the throat hydrated and prevent further irritation.
Promotes Cough and Cold Prevention
While not a cure, the menthol and honey in TomTom sweets may offer some preventive effects. Menthol can discourage the spread of germs by reducing coughing and sneezing, and honey has antimicrobial properties.
Possible Side Effects
While TomTom sweets are generally considered safe when consumed in moderation, they contain menthol and other ingredients that can potentially lead to side effects.
- May lead to allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to certain ingredients in TomTom sweets, such as menthol or honey. Allergic reactions can include itching, swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, or anaphylaxis. If you suspect an allergy, discontinue use and seek medical attention immediately.
- Overconsumption: Excessive consumption of menthol-containing products like TomTom sweets can lead to adverse effects, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headache. Always consume them in moderation.
- May Cause gastrointestinal distress: Excess consumption of menthol candies may irritate the stomach lining and result in gastrointestinal discomfort, including stomachaches or heartburn.
- May increase the chances of diabetes: TomTom sweets contain sugar, which can raise blood glucose levels. People with diabetes should be cautious and monitor their blood sugar when consuming sweets like TomTom.
- May lead to tooth decay: The sugar content in TomTom sweets can contribute to tooth decay and cavities if proper oral hygiene is not maintained. It’s crucial to brush your teeth after consuming sugary candies.
- May interact with some drug: Menthol can interact with certain medications. If you are taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs, consult with your healthcare provider to ensure there are no potential interactions.
- May Cause coughing and choking in some individuals: Since TomTom sweets can temporarily suppress coughing, they should not be given to young children or individuals at risk of choking on small candies.
Can a Pregnant Woman Lick Tom Tom Sweet?
Licking Tom Tom in moderation during pregnancy is generally considered safe for most pregnant women. TomTom sweets contain ingredients like menthol and sugar, which are typically not harmful when consumed in small amounts.
Some individuals may be allergic to specific ingredients in TomTom sweets. If you are trying TomTom for the first time during pregnancy, be cautious and watch for any signs of allergies, such as itching, swelling, hives, or difficulty breathing. If you notice any changes after consuming tom tom, stop using it and contact your doctor immediately.
TomTom sweets are just candies and should not be relied upon as a main means of relief for medical conditions. If you have a persistent or severe health issue, it is good to consult with a healthcare professional for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.