You are currently viewing Can You Eat Corn With Mold On Husk?

Can You Eat Corn With Mold On Husk?

Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on various food items, including corn husks. It appears as fuzzy or discolored patches on the surface of the husk and may vary in color from black, green, blue, white, or gray. While some molds are harmless, others can produce toxins that are harmful when ingested.

When it comes to food safety, we need to be careful and know about potential problems. One common issue is mold, which can grow on different foods, including corn husks.

In this article, we’ll find out if it’s safe to eat corn with mold on the husk. We’ll share the best answer based on scientific research and expert opinions.

Causes of Mold on Corn Husk

Mold on corn husk usually happens when there is moisture and warm weather. Corn husks have a lot of moisture, and they are often kept in humid places, making it a good place for mold to grow. Mold spores can also be on the corn husk even before it is harvested.

Can You Eat Corn With Mold On Husk?

No, you should not consume corn that has mold on the husk. Mold can produce toxins that are harmful to your health if consumed. If you notice mold on the husk of the corn, discard it and replace it with a fresh, mold-free ear of corn. Moldy food can cause food poisoning or allergic reactions, so avoid eating any food that has signs of mold growth.

Dangers of Consuming Moldy Corn Husk

Consuming moldy corn husk can be dangerous for your health.

Mold can make mycotoxins, which can cause problems like feeling sick, throwing up, having diarrhea, stomach pain, and allergic reactions.

If you keep eating mycotoxins for a long time, it can cause more serious health issues, like problems with your liver and breathing. So it’s essential to avoid eating moldy corn husk to stay healthy.

How to Prevent Mold on Corn Husk

Mold prevention on corn husk is essential for ensuring the safety and quality of the corn you consume. To accomplish this, buy fresh corn with bright green husks and firm kernels, store it in a cool, dry place, inspect it for mold before eating, use it as soon as possible after purchase, and properly cook it to eliminate any potential mold or harmful bacteria.


To sum up, it’s not safe to eat moldy corn husk. Mold can make mycotoxins, which can lead to health problems. Remember to throw away any corn husks with mold to stay safe and healthy.


Can you eat corn with corn mold?

No, you should not eat corn with corn mold. Corn mold, also known as corn smut or huitlacoche, is a fungal disease that affects corn plants.

Can I eat corn with white mold?

No, you should not eat corn with white mold. Mold on corn, regardless of its color, can be harmful to your health.

Is corn mold toxic?

Yes, corn mold can be toxic. Mold that grows on corn, such as white mold, black mold, or other types of mold, can produce mycotoxins.

What causes mold in corn?

Mold in corn is primarily caused by fungi that naturally occur in the environment. These fungi can infect corn plants and start growing on the corn kernels or husks under certain favorable conditions.

Chukwuebuka Martins

Chukwuebuka MartinsĀ is a writer, researcher, and health enthusiast who specializes in human physiology. He takes great pleasure in penning informative articles on many aspects of physical wellness, which he then thoroughly enjoys sharing to the general public.

Leave a Reply