Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment that involves placing sperm inside a woman’s uterus to increase the chances of fertilization and pregnancy.
IUI is a simple procedure that can be performed in a doctor’s office and does not require anesthesia. The process involves collecting sperm from a male partner or donor, washing the sperm to separate the strongest and most active sperm, and then placing the sperm inside the uterus using a thin catheter.
IUI can be used for couples who have been trying to conceive for several months without success, or for couples who have infertility issues such as low sperm count or cervical mucus problems. IUI can also be used in conjunction with fertility drugs to increase the chances of pregnancy.
The process of IUI treatment
The process of IUI treatment involves collecting washed, prepared, and viable sperm from a donor and manually inserting it into the woman’s uterus. This method helps increase the likelihood of fertilization by avoiding the difficulties the sperm may face in passing through the cervix and cervical mucus. The collected sperm is also carefully screened to ensure its viability. In some cases, the woman may also receive medication to stimulate ovulation prior to the IUI procedure.
IUI is performed with the goal of increasing the chances of fertilization by introducing a larger number of viable sperm directly into the woman’s uterus, making it easier for them to reach the fallopian tubes and potentially fertilize the egg. This can increase the chances of a successful pregnancy.
Procedures Of IUI
The woman may need to take ovulation-stimulating medications prior to the IUI process in order to prepare her body for the release of eggs. The timing of the procedure is crucial and requires careful monitoring to determine when the eggs have matured and when ovulation is about to occur. This is usually determined through blood tests that measure the levels of LH hormones, as well as follicular tracking using ultrasound. The semen is also prepared by washing it in the lab to separate it from seminal fluid.
When the timing is right, the doctor will insert the sperm directly into the uterus using a catheter, which helps maximize the number of sperm cells placed and increase the chances of conception. The procedure is quick and relatively painless. After the IUI, it’s just a matter of waiting and observing for signs of pregnancy.
It’s worth noting that the success rate of IUI in Nigeria is around 25% per cycle, but with persistence and multiple attempts, couples are often able to achieve pregnancy.
Cost Of IUI In Nigeria
IUI is gaining popularity among couples in Nigeria who are struggling with infertility, due to the desire for children. This has led to a rise in the number of healthcare facilities offering this procedure. On average, the cost of IUI in Nigeria can range from N200,000 to N500,000, depending on various factors such as the hospital, patient age, patient cycle, procedure, and others. Private hospitals and clinics tend to be more expensive for this procedure.
The overall cost of IUI can be greatly impacted by the number of attempts needed before pregnancy occurs. The success rate, which depends on the fertility of both partners and their overall health, can range from 10% to 20%. This means that it may take several cycles, anywhere from 4 to 10, before pregnancy is achieved. The cost per cycle can range from N60,000 to N160,000, depending on the clinic.
Advantages of IUI
The success rate of IUI varies from person to person, but it is a relatively straightforward procedure with a high success rate. In this article, we will explore the advantages of IUI treatment.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other fertility treatments, IUI is relatively inexpensive. While the cost may vary depending on the clinic and location, it is typically much more affordable than treatments such as in vitro fertilization (IVF). This makes IUI a great option for couples who are trying to conceive but are on a budget.
- Non-Invasive: IUI is a non-invasive procedure, which means that there is no need for surgery or general anesthesia. The procedure is performed in the comfort of a doctor’s office and takes only a few minutes to complete. This makes IUI a great option for those who are concerned about the risks associated with more invasive treatments.
- High Success Rates: While the success rate of IUI varies from person to person, it is generally considered to be a highly effective treatment option. The success rate of IUI is influenced by various factors such as the patient’s age, the quality of sperm, and the cause of infertility. However, even in cases where IUI is not successful, it can still be combined with other fertility treatments for greater success.
- Minimal Discomfort: The IUI procedure is quick and involves minimal discomfort. Most patients report that the procedure is not painful and that they are able to return to normal activities immediately afterwards.
- Time-Saving: IUI is a time-saving procedure that does not require a long recovery time. Unlike other fertility treatments, patients are able to return to normal activities immediately after the procedure. This means that they do not have to take time off work or other responsibilities.
- Increases the Quantity of Viable Sperm: IUI involves washing the sperm before it is inserted into the uterus. This process helps to increase the quantity of viable sperm that reaches the uterus, which increases the chances of conception.
- Natural Process: IUI mimics the natural process of conception, which means that it is less likely to disrupt the body’s natural fertility processes. This makes IUI a great option for those who are concerned about the side effects of other fertility treatments.
Disadvantages of IUI
Here are some of the disadvantages of IUI that couples should be aware of before undergoing the treatment.
- Low success rates: While IUI can be an effective option for some couples, success rates vary widely and can be relatively low compared to other fertility treatments. On average, the success rate of IUI is around 20-30% per cycle, but this can vary based on the couple’s age, fertility, and other factors.
- Multiple cycles needed: For many couples, it may take several IUI cycles before pregnancy occurs. This can be emotionally and financially draining, especially for couples who are already struggling with infertility.
- Cost: IUI can be a relatively expensive fertility treatment option, especially for couples who need multiple cycles. The cost of IUI can range from a few thousand naira to tens of thousands of naira, depending on the clinic, the location, and the number of cycles needed.
- Medications: Before undergoing IUI, many women need to take ovulation-stimulating medications to help produce multiple eggs. These medications can have side effects, such as mood swings, bloating, and headaches, that can be difficult to manage.
- Risks of multiple pregnancy: IUI can increase the chances of multiple pregnancy, which can be high-risk for both the mother and the baby. Multiple pregnancy can lead to premature birth, low birth weight, and other complications.
- In vitro fertilization may still be necessary: For some couples, IUI may not be enough to achieve pregnancy. In these cases, they may need to consider other fertility treatments, such as in vitro fertilization (IVF), which can be more invasive, expensive, and time-consuming.
In conclusion, IUI is a highly effective and affordable fertility treatment option that offers a number of advantages. Whether you are looking for a non-invasive option, or simply want to increase your chances of conceiving, IUI may be the right choice for you.
If you are struggling with infertility, it is important to discuss your options with a fertility specialist who can help you determine the best course of action for your specific situation.