Nigerian Egg rolls have been a beloved snack of mine for as long as I can remember. I love their richness, thickness, and the crispiness on the outside and inside. When I used to travel on luxury buses, I always looked forward to snacking on egg rolls during the journey. They were especially helpful in calming my nerves during long trips, such as on the Lagos/Ibadan expressway. Some people refer to these treats as Scotch eggs, but they differ in that they are wrapped in dough instead of sausage.
Making egg rolls at home only heightened my love for them. Homemade egg rolls are crunchy, satisfying, and the best thing you can make. The ingredients are simple and can easily be found at any grocery store. I’ve made this dish countless times for breakfast, lunch, school lunch boxes, and even dinner, with some chilled drinks on the side.
In conclusion, the recipe for making perfect homemade Nigerian egg rolls is right here. You won’t need to search for another recipe. So let’s get started!
- 10 whole eggs room temperature
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed ground spices nutmeg & cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable/Soya oil for deep frying
Here’s a simplified version of the recipe for Nigerian Egg Rolls:
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes until hard-boiled and let them cool in cold water.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spices (if using), and salt. Add the margarine/butter and rub it into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add water to form a dough. Knead until smooth and divide into 10 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it on a floured surface. Wrap each egg with a piece of dough and form into a ball shape.
- Fry the egg rolls in hot oil until golden brown, reduce the heat once they are added to the oil. Drain on paper towels before serving.
In conclusion, the ingredients used in making egg rolls are easily accessible and can be found at most grocery stores. The eggs provide a good source of protein and the dough is made with flour, sugar, baking powder, and other ingredients that provide essential carbohydrates and minerals.
The deep frying process adds a crispy exterior, while the inside remains soft and rich. Whether enjoyed as a snack, breakfast, or lunch, these egg rolls are a delicious and nutritious option.