Xasten is a registered trademark for the corticosteroid known as dexamethasone. This corticosteroid is the same as a hormone that your adrenal glands make on their own. This substance is frequently used as a replacement for it when your body is unable to generate enough of it on its own.
In Nigeria, Xasten is marketed by a company called Vixa Pharmaceutical. The Xasten Tablet can be used to treat a wide variety of allergic reactions, including asthma, mild to severe skin allergic reactions, disorders of the stomach or intestinal tract, disorders of blood cells, respiratory disorders, and inflammatory disorders.
Uses of Xasten Tablet
- For the treatment or prevention of allergic reactions.
- To relieve nausea and vomiting brought on by chemotherapy drugs.
It’s used to help cancer patients who have lost their appetite.
- When used with antibiotics, it is an effective treatment for TB as well as autoimmune diseases, skin disorders, asthma, and other lung conditions.
- A synthetic corticosteroid called dexamethasone is used to treat a number of ailments.
- Used for treating various types of cancer, including leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma.
- As an analgesic. A corticosteroid called dexamethasone aids in lowering inflammation in the body. It is used to treat eye irritation and to lessen swelling (oedema) caused on by brain and spine tumors.
How Can You Use Xasten Tablet
You can take Xasten by mouth as either a pill or a liquid. Your doctor will tell you what dose schedule is best for you.
Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and if there is anything you don’t understand, ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain it to you.
Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than your doctor says.
Do not stop taking the Xasten tablets without talking to your doctor first.
If you’ve been taking a high dose for a long time, your doctor will probably lower it slowly so your body can get used to it before you stop taking it altogether.
Even if you decide to switch to a corticosteroid treatment that can be inhaled, you should still be on the lookout for these unwanted side effects as you gradually reduce your dosage and eventually stop taking the oral liquid or pills.
If any of these issues occur, you should see a doctor right away. You may need to temporarily increase the dose of your pill or liquid or start your treatment over.
Side Effects of Xasten tablet
Here are some issues that might happen if you stop taking the medicine all of a sudden.
- Loss of appetite
- Joint and muscle discomfort
- Peeling skin; and
- Weight loss
Can Xasten Tablet Make You Fat?
According to the findings of a study that was recently published in the International Journal of Medical Sciences, approximately 40 million prescriptions for steroids are filled annually in the United States alone.
On the other hand, certain anabolic steroids, such as Xasten, are associated with considerable adverse effects, including weight gain.
According to one piece of research, the most often reported adverse consequence of steroid use was weight gain, which affected almost seventy percent of the people who were given the medications.
The Xasten tablet is responsible for weight gain because it throws off the body’s electrolyte and water balances as well as its metabolism. The metabolism is responsible for how the body eats and stores lipids, amino acids, carbohydrates, and glucose.
The accumulation of excess weight is due to a number of factors, which are responsible for:
- A greater desire to consume food
- Fluid retention
- Changes in the manner in which the body stores fat
Many people who use Xasten tablets may have an increase in the amount of fat in their faces and necks, in addition to an increase in belly fat.
Even if you successfully prevent the weight gain that steroids cause, you are likely to feel and look larger while taking these medications because of the way fat is redistributed throughout the body.
In general, the higher the dosage of steroids that you take and the longer that you continue to use them, the greater the likelihood that you will put on weight.
In general, there are not many negative side effects associated with short courses, which might last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks.
Using Xasten Tablet for Weight Gain
It is not advisable to take a Xasten tablet in order to gain weight. The term “misuse of medicines” refers to the act of ingesting a drug for a purpose other than its intended one, such as self-medication, recreation, or enhancement, with or without a prescription from a doctor and in violation of generally accepted medical norms. An overdose of dexamethasone can cause symptoms that are potentially life threatening. Long-term usage of high doses might result in thinning skin, easy bruising, changes in body fat (particularly in your face, neck, back, and waist), increased acne or facial hair, menstrual issues, impotence, or loss of desire in sex. Other side effects include impotence and lack of interest in sex.
Xasten Tablet Precautions
`Follow below instructions before taking Xasten:
- If you are allergic to any drugs, including Xasten, aspirin, tartrazine (a yellow dye found in several processed foods and drugs), or any other drugs, you should inform both your doctor and your pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of the prescription and over-the-counter medications you are currently taking, especially anticoagulants (also known as “blood thinners”) such as warfarin (Coumadin), arthritis medications, aspirin, cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), digoxin (Lanoxin), diuretics (also known as “water pills”), ephedrine, estrogen (Premarin), ketoconazole (Nizoral), oral contraceptives
- Do not use Xasten without first consulting your physician if you have a fungal infection anywhere on your body other than on your skin.
- Inform your physician if you currently suffer from or have previously been diagnosed with conditions such as diabetes, an underactive thyroid gland, high blood pressure, mental illness, myasthenia gravis, osteoporosis, herpes eye infection, seizures, tuberculosis (TB), or ulcers.
- You should let your doctor know if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant in the near future. Call your healthcare provider immediately if you discover that you are pregnant while taking Xasten.
- Tell your surgeon or dentist that you are taking Xasten if you are going to have any kind of surgical procedure done, including dental surgery.
- While you are taking this medication, you should restrict the amount of alcohol you drink, especially if you have a history of ulcers, use large doses of aspirin, or take medication for arthritis that contains other ingredients. Your stomach and intestines become more sensitive to the irritating effects of alcohol, aspirin, and certain arthritis drugs while you use Xasten; this effect increases the likelihood that you will develop ulcers.
Xasten Vs. Pregnancy
The Xasten tablet is not a form of birth control and will not prevent you from becoming pregnant if you use it. In point of fact, dexamethasone’s ability to suppress testosterone levels might make clomiphene more effective.
According to the findings of two randomized clinical studies, the combination of dexamethasone and clomiphene is superior to clomiphene on its own in terms of increasing the likelihood of ovulation and pregnancy in clomiphene-resistant women.
Increased fertility and fecundity can be achieved with Xasten either by the stimulation of follicle growth with prolactin or through other direct actions on the ovary.
Postpill, Postinor 1, Postinor 2, Levon 2, and other after-sex medications may be able to assist you in avoiding an unintended pregnancy if you are looking for a pill to prevent pregnancy. If this is the case, you should learn more about these options.
CHECK: Difference Between Postpill vs Postinor 2 You Should Know
One of the bad effects of Dexacortin is weight gain, which may occur as a result of increased hunger, fluid retention, and fat deposits in the abdomen, buttocks, and breasts. This weight gain can be a result of taking too much of the medication.
Some people, particularly women, abuse this medication by taking it with the intention of putting on weight, which is both risky and potentially harmful. This is the reason.
A medicine known as dexamethasone is administered to patients suffering from inflammation as well as other conditions. It achieves this effect in part by dampening the activity of the immune system.
Because of this, because your immune system will be repressed, you will be more susceptible to illnesses that your body is made to fight against, but as a result, you will be more sick.
In addition to that, there are certain undesirable side effects associated with the medication. You must always follow the directions when using xasten and never use it on your own.