Chicken and chips is a popular food duo that originated in the United Kingdom and has also found its way into the hearts of many Nigerians. This flavorful combo is not only a treat but has become a sought-after delight. You’ll often find it gracing the tables of parties, pubs, and restaurants, often served as an appetizer.
This culinary creation involves a scrumptious piece of chicken, cooked through methods like frying, roasting, or barbecuing, alongside a serving of French fries, known as “chips” in the U.K. To make the experience complete, a generous drizzle of ketchup or tomato sauce adds that extra punch of flavor.
In this article, we are going to discuss the seven health benefits of eating chicken and chips and also dive into the negative effects it might cause.
Health Benefits of Eating Chicken and Chips
Rich in Protein
Chicken is a valuable source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues, supporting immune function, and maintaining healthy skin and hair.
Provides important Nutrients
Chicken contains important nutrients like niacin, which aids in metabolism and energy production, as well as vitamin B6, which plays a role in brain health and hormone regulation.
Good source of Energy
Carbohydrates from the chips provide energy, especially if you’ve been physically active. Opting for whole potatoes or baked chips can offer fiber and complex carbs that provide longer-lasting energy.
Satiety and Portion Control
A balanced meal with protein from chicken and fiber from potatoes can help control hunger and prevent overeating. This can contribute to better portion control and overall calorie intake.
Are There Any Side Effects to Eating Chicken and Chips?
Fried chicken and chips can be high in unhealthy trans fats and saturated fats, which are linked to heart disease.
Fried foods can be calorie-dense, potentially contributing to weight gain and obesity when consumed frequently.
High in Sodium
Both fried chicken and chips can be high in sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure and other health issues when consumed excessively.
How To Prepare Chicken and Chips
Ingredients you will need:
- Chicken pieces (like breasts or thighs)
- Potatoes (for chips)
- Cooking oil (like vegetable oil)
- Optional: Spices or herbs for extra flavor
Instructions For preparing Chicken:
- Clean the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and any spices you like on the chicken.
- Heat a pan with oil over medium heat until it’s hot but not smoking.
- Put the chicken in the pan (skin-side down if there’s skin) and cook until it’s golden and crispy (about 6-8 minutes per side).
- Flip the chicken and cook the other side until it’s cooked through (inside temperature should be 165°F or 75°C).
- Take the chicken out of the pan and put it on a plate with paper towels to soak up extra oil.
Instructions For preparing Chips:
- Wash and peel the potatoes (or leave the skin on if you like).
- Cut the potatoes into thin strips or wedges.
- Rinse the potato strips in cold water and dry them with a towel.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Toss the potato strips with a bit of oil, salt, pepper, and any spices in a bowl.
- Lay the potato strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 20–30 minutes until they’re crispy and golden, flipping them halfway.
Serving and enjoying your chicken and chips:
- Arrange the cooked chicken and chips on plates.
- Have ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce on the side.
- You can add a simple salad or some cooked veggies if you want.