Some people think that drinking coconut water, eating the white and brown part of the coconut, or drinking coconut milk can make medicines less effective. Some people think that bioactive substances in coconut can cancel out the effects of certain chemicals in medications, so it shouldn’t be eaten while taking them. However, there is not enough research to support this belief.
Even though there isn’t enough evidence to say that you shouldn’t eat coconut meat or drink coconut water while on medication, some studies have shown that coconut water may make some drugs work better. For example, coconut water has been shown to lower blood pressure, and when consumed with antihypertensive medications, it may lower blood pressure even further.
Also, research shows that coconut water may speed up the way drugs are absorbed and make them more concentrated in the blood, which could make their effects stronger.
Does Coconut Water Neutralise The Effect of Drug?
No, coconut water does not neutralize effect of any drug. instead, coconut water may make some drugs work better. For example, coconut water has been shown to lower blood pressure, and when consumed with antihypertensive medications, it may lower blood pressure even further.
Possible Health benefits of coconut water
- Promotes eyes health: According to many studies, coconut water can work perfectly to improve eyes health. Drinking coconut water may help with vision problems such as glaucoma and cataracts.
- Promotes Immune System: If you drink coconut water every day, it can make your immune system more effective. Lauric acid is found in coconut water. It can kill viruses, bacteria, and fungi. This acid fights infections and gets rid of worms and candida bacteria in the gut, which makes the immune system stronger. Coconut water can also get rid of the gum disease and urinary tract infection-causing bacteria in the body. It fights the viruses that cause you to get a cold, typhus, or other diseases that spread from person to person. Even when it’s cold outside, your health will be great if you drink coconut water every day.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: According to studies, high blood pressure can happen when there are too many electrolytes in the body. Because coconut water has the perfect amount of each, it can be used to keep things in balance. In some cases, it is suggested that coconut water be drink first thing in the morning to help keep these electrolytes in balance.
- Maintain Good skin health: If you don’t drink enough water, your skin can get dry, tight, and even flaky. Coconut water can help you get the water you need every day, which is good for your circulation and skin. Some kinds of coconut water have vitamin C added to them. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and naturally stimulates collagen production, which can help keep your skin firm and young-looking.
- May help prevent kidney stones: In a study that took place in 2018 and involved eight participants, researchers discovered that drinking coconut water increased the amount of potassium, chloride, and citrate that was passed in the urine of people who did not have kidney stones. This suggests that drinking coconut water may help flush out the system and keep the risk of kidney stones to a minimum.
There is no study data to show that consuming coconut water, coconut milk, or coconut meat reduces the efficacy or potency of drugs.
It is always important to follow the instructions and warnings provided with any medication and to seek medical advice if you have any concerns or questions.