Postinor 2 is a birth control pill that contains 0.75 mg of the active ingredient, levonorgestrel. This ingredient is a man-made hormone created in the 1960s and used in birth control since the 1980s. It works by preventing ovulation, altering the movement of sperm and eggs in the fallopian tubes, and possibly making it harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.
According to many sources, it might work up to 72 hours after unprotected sex, although it’s not a reliable method once implantation in the uterus has occurred. In Nigeria, you can buy Postinor 2 without a prescription. It’s considered an essential medicine by the World Health Organization because of its effectiveness.
However, like any medication, it can cause side effects such as breast tenderness, headaches, irregular periods, and nausea. Many women wonder how long it stays in their system after taking it due to these side effects and general curiosity.
Does Postinor 2 affect or delay period?
If you take Postinor 2, your next period might be a bit delayed. If it’s over a week late, it’s a good idea to see your doctor for a pregnancy test.
How long does Postinor 2 last in the body?
To figure out how long Postinor 2 stays in your body, we need to look at its main ingredient, Levonorgestrel. It has an elimination half-life of about 24.4 hours (with a small variation of 5.3 hours). This means that, on average, half of the Postinor 2 dose is gone from your system in just over a day after you take it.
With this average half-life, it takes around 5.59 days to completely remove a single dose of Postinor 2 from your system. But because people’s bodies are a bit different, some may clear it in about 4.38 days (if they have a faster half-life of 19.1 hours), while others might take 6.81 days (if they have a slower half-life of 29.7 hours).
So, for most people taking Postinor 2, it’s usually gone from their system within a week after taking it. Some research suggests it might stay in the body a bit longer, but generally, it’s unlikely to be there after two weeks, even in extreme cases. In short, most Postinor 2 users should clear it from their system within one week.
Things that determine how long Postinor 2 last in the body
While the label on Postinor 2 indicates that most people clear the levonorgestrel from their system in about 5.59 days on average, it’s important to know that there can be some variation in this time. Many factors can determine how long Postinor 2 stays in your body. These factors may include:
- The Dosage: The amount of Postinor 2 you take can affect how long it stays in your system.
- Frequency: How you take Postinor 2 matters. Taking it repeatedly might impact how quickly your body gets rid of it.
- Personal Characteristics: Your personal attributes, like your metabolism, can determine how your body processes and eliminates drugs.
- Other Medications: Taking other drugs at the same time can interact with Postinor 2 and change how long it stays in your system.
Tips to get rid of Postinor 2 in your body faster
If you want to get Postinor 2 out of your system faster, there are some tips to consider. However, it’s crucial to remember that you should not use these methods right after taking Postinor 2. Additionally, always consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these strategies to ensure they’re safe for you.
- Calcium-D-Glucarate: Taking the supplement calcium-d-glucarate could support your kidneys in removing Postinor 2. It works as a detoxifier by aiding in the clearance of certain substances. While it may not drastically increase the speed of Postinor 2 removal, it can assist in overall detoxification.
- Physical Activity: Increasing your physical activity, like exercising, might help burn body fat. This could potentially speed up the removal of Postinor 2 from your system. It may be especially helpful if you’ve taken Postinor 2 for a while and have more body fat where the drug might accumulate.
- Activated Charcoal: If you believe Postinor 2 or its byproducts are still in your system, activated charcoal might help. It binds to the drug and any toxins it might have created. Always check with your doctor before using activated charcoal, as it can affect the absorption of other medications you may be taking.
- pH Adjustment: Although it’s not certain how Postinor 2 reacts to changes in urinary pH, making your urine more acidic through dietary adjustments or supplements could potentially speed up the removal of levonorgestrel. If Postinor 2 is sensitive to acidity, it might break down in an acidic environment, expediting its removal through urine.
The duration of Postinor 2 in the body can vary from person to person. On average, it may take around a week for most individuals to eliminate this medication from their bodies. However, factors like dosage, individual differences, and other medications can influence how long it stays in the body. It’s important to consult a healthcare professional for advice and to ensure effective use of this medication. SEE: Difference Between Postpill vs Postinor 2 You Should Know