If you are contemplating suicide, or someone you know, you are not alone.
Right now, assistance is available online and over the phone. Here is a list of the online resources and hotlines to help prevent suicide.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline (United States)
- Phone: 800-273-8255 (available 24/7)
- Support for deaf people and those with hearing loss: 800-799-4899
- Online chat: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/ (available 24/7)
- Website: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Crisis Text Line
- Text: HOME to 741741 (available 24/7)
- Website: https://www.crisistextline.org/
The Veterans Crisis Line
The service is open to everyone, including those who are not licensed or enrolled with the U.S. Veterans affairs department.
- Phone: 800-273-8255 and press 1 (available 24/7)
- Text: 838255 (available 24/7)
- Online chat: http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/get-help/chat (available 24/7)
- Website: http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
The Trevor Project
This service provides LGBTQ+ youth with crisis intervention and suicide prevention through hotline, online chat , text, and an online support center:
- Phone: 866-488-7386 (available 24/7)
- Text: START to 678678 (available 24/7)
- Online chat: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/ (available 24/7)
- Website: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/
SAMHSA’s National Helpline (Substance Abuse)
National helpline of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration ( SAMHSA) provides confidential referral referrals in both English and Spanish for individuals with mental health problems, drug use disorders or both.
- Phone: 800-662-4357 (available 24/7)
- Support for deaf people and those with hearing loss: 800-487-4889 (available 24/7)
- Website: http://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline
RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline
- Phone: 800-656-4673 (available 24/7)
- Online chat: https://bit.ly/31L6uGM
- Website: https://www.rainn.org/
IMAlive is an online crisis center which offers help from volunteers trained in crisis response. Volunteers are able to connect with people in need of urgent assistance with an instant message.
- Website: https://www.imalive.org/
7 Cups of Tea
7 cups of tea is an online resource offering free, anonymous and confidential text chat with trained listeners and online counselors.
- Website: https://www.7cups.com/
ADAA Online Support Group
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America’s (ADAA) online support group is a safe and supportive place to share information and experiences.
Self-Injury Outreach and Support
Self-injury Outreach and Support is also an international outreach organization that provides a range of services for self-injurious individuals.
- Website: http://sioutreach.org/
This is a widely recognised approach to treatment , professional network, and educational resource base that is dedicated to helping people end self-injurious behaviour.
- Phone: 800-366-8288
- Website: https://selfinjury.com/
Resources for parents, teens, and children
THRIVE is an app created by the Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine that helps direct parents and caregivers in facilitating critical dialogs on a range of health and wellness issues with their teenage children.
Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
The online platform helps parents , caregivers, and educators raise awareness of suicide among youth and attempted suicide by creating and supporting educational training programmes. The platform also includes support for teenagers contemplating suicide.
- Website: https://www.sptsusa.org/
The Jed Foundation is a nonprofit organization that works on mental health and suicide prevention among teenagers and young adults in the United States.
- Website: https://www.jedfoundation.org/
Facts for Families Guide
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry has an online tool that helps parents and carers determine if the conduct of a child is simply a phase or a symptom of something more serious.
They include resources on a wide variety of conditions and situations which can affect the mental health of a young person, from bullying to a pet ‘s death.
- Website: https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/FFF-Guide-Table-of-Contents.aspx
National Institute of Mental Health
The National Institute of Mental Health offers information on mental health and welfare of children, including indicators that a parent or caregiver may seek assistance.
National Alliance on Mental Illness Resource
The National Alliance on Mental Illness is providing support on a range of topics for family members and caregivers including how to help avoid suicide.
- Website: https://www.nami.org/
Kelty Mental Health Resource Center
The Kelty Mental Health Resource Center provides a broad variety of knowledge on mental health problems that affect children and young adults.
- Website: http://keltymentalhealth.ca/
Hope For The Day
Hope For The Day is a non-profit, suicide-prevention group. They host peer-to – peer trainings on suicide prevention and provide a range of services at community level to prevent suicide.
- Website: https://www.hftd.org/
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention aims to raise support for those affected by suicide and finance medical research. They are now providing tools on suicide warning signs and risk factors, suicide fact sheets and volunteer opportunities to support their efforts.
- Website: https://afsp.org/about-suicide/
International hotlines and resources
AASRA Suicide Prevention Hotline (India)
- Phone: +91-9820466726 (available 24/7)
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.aasra.info/
- Helpline numbers by Indian state: http://www.aasra.info/helpline.html
Samaritans Suicide Prevention Hotline (United Kingdom and Ireland)
Crisis Services Canada Hotline (Canada)
- Phone: 1-833-456-4566 (available 24/7)
- Text: START to 45645
- Online chat: http://www.crisisservicescanada.ca/en/#CdnSMSChat
- Website: http://www.crisisservicescanada.ca/
- Phone: 13 11 14 (available 24/7)
- Online chat: https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat (7 p.m.–12 a.m. Sydney Time)
- Website: https://www.lifeline.org.au/
The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (South Africa)
- Phone: 0800 567 567
- Website: http://www.sadag.org/
Smart Suicide Prevention Initiative (Nigeria)
- Phone: +234 (0)809210643
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mentally Aware Nigeria Initiative (Nigeria)
- Text: +234 (0)8091116264
- Email: email@example.com
Samaritans of Singapore Suicide Hotline (Singapore)
Befrienders Kuala Lumpur Suicide Helpline (Malaysia)
- Phone: 603-79568145 (available 24/7)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.befrienders.org.my/
Befrienders Kenya (Kenya)
- Phone: +254722178177
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.befrienderskenya.org/about.html
Health Promotion Agency Crisis Helpline (New Zealand)
- Phone: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
- Text: 4202
- Website: https://depression.org.nz/
SAPTEL Crisis Hotline (Mexico)
- Phone: (55) 5259-8121 (available 24/7)
- Website: http://www.saptel.org.mx/index.html
Ghana Suicide Hotline (Ghana)
- Phone: 2332 444 71279
Teléfono de la esperanza (Spain)
- Phone: 717 003 717
- Website: https://www.telefonodelaesperanza.org/