Efo riro is a traditional vegetable soup that originates from the Yoruba people in western Nigeria. This soup is typically made with Celosia argentea, also known as soko yòkòtò in Yoruba or farar áláyyafó in Hausa, and Amaranthus hybridus, also known as ẹ̀fọ́ tẹ̀tẹ̀ in Yoruba. Along with these vegetables, efo riro is also prepared with palm oil, bell peppers, scotch bonnets, locust beans (iru), prawns, and assorted meats like shaki, kpomo, cow leg, smoked turkey or beef.
Despite the rich ingredients used to prepare efo riro, it is considered to be one of the healthiest soups in Nigeria. This is due to the nutritional benefits of the vegetables and ingredients used in the soup.
Health Benefits Of Efo Riro
1. Promotes weight loss
Efo riro is a low-calorie dish that is high in fiber, making it an excellent choice for people looking to lose weight. The fiber in the vegetables helps to keep you feeling full for longer periods, which reduces the amount of food you consume.
2. Rich in nutrients
Efo riro is made with vegetables such as Celosia argentea and Amaranthus hybridus, which are both rich in essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Iron, and Calcium. These nutrients are essential for maintaining good health and preventing illnesses.
3. Boosts the immune system
The vitamins and minerals present in Efo riro help to strengthen the immune system and protect the body against diseases and infections.
4. Supports healthy vision
Efo riro contains Vitamin A which is essential for healthy vision. This vitamin helps to prevent night blindness and other vision-related problems.
5. mproves digestion
Efo riro contains fiber which promotes healthy digestion, preventing constipation, and reducing the risk of colon cancer.
6. Lowers cholesterol levels
The palm oil used in preparing efo riro contains healthy fats that help to lower cholesterol levels in the body, reducing the risk of heart disease.
How To Prepare Efo Riro
Here are the steps and ingredients you need to prepare Efo Riro:
- Assorted meat (shaki, cow leg, Kpomo, smoked turkey or beef)
- Palm oil
- Bell peppers
- Scotch bonnets
- Iru (locust beans)
- Fresh spinach or other greens (soko yòkòtò or ẹ̀fọ́ tẹ̀tẹ̀)
- Seasoning cubes
- Clean and season the assorted meat and prawns with salt and seasoning cubes. Place them in a pot and cook until tender.
- Wash and chop the onion, bell peppers, and scotch bonnets.
- In a separate pot, heat up the palm oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, and scotch bonnets to the pot and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the iru to the pot and continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked meat and prawns to the pot and stir everything together.
- Add some water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Wash and chop the fresh spinach or other greens and add them to the pot.
- Stir everything together and add salt and seasoning cubes to taste.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the Efo Riro hot with your favorite side dish, such as pounded yam, eba, or rice.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy Efo Riro!